Issues adding scripted behaviors to npcs.

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

Issues adding scripted behaviors to npcs.

Postby NhojisDEAD on 23 Jun 2017 03:08

As of right now, I am working on a mod with a ZRP base that has the goal of restoring(most) cut mutants. The method of doing this is a scripting based spawn and respawn system utilizing info portions and a bit of RNG. The issue, as indicated by the subject, is that I am having an issue adding custom attributes(currently an area of effect attack for a zombie variant) to npcs. For whatever reason bind_monster(or at least the update loop) doesn't work, so to work around this I attempted to add the npcs to a list and work through the npcs using a for loop, which failed. As of right now I am convinced that the issue lies somewhere in the script files respawn_mgr.script and mutant_able.script.
Download link to the current version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g16es2mjrv44xoh/gamedata.zip?dl=0
Any help is appreciated.
NhojisDEAD

Re: Issues adding scripted behaviors to npcs.

Postby Nightwatch on 01 Jul 2017 12:13

Welcome to the Forum NhojisDEAD.

Thank you for sharing your problems with us. But, on this occasion, we are unfortunately not able to download the script files that you put on internet servers and examine them.

While it's needless to say that almost "all cut-out-mutants of the release version of the game" have been so far restored by various mods, still, it may always be fun to try new things with disconnected (cut-out) mutants and re-activate them with custom attributes; however, as you rightly say that "For whatever reason bind_monster(or at least the update loop) doesn't work," there are far so many variables are in-check in the game, and your script may be correct in itself but it may fall into contradiction with some other -even seemingly obscure- files, creating a situation which only the modder himself deal by unraveling those files on the basis of the work done.

There are already a wealth of long discussions on the subject, please search this forum on relevant matters.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby rockingmtranch on 02 Jul 2017 03:25

Remember when we were trying to get those first three mods to work together Nightwatch? What a nightmare but you finally got it to work and look where Stalker is today!!! =D>
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby NhojisDEAD on 02 Jul 2017 05:10

Thanks for the response Nightwatch.
I was unaware that my scripts could be working in contrary to other scripts, though now it seems quite short sighted to have not considered that a possibility. I think the issue may be with where the script is being executed from, but I'll still be sure to read some of the other forum posts on the matter, as I lack knowledge and experience of many of the inner workings of the game, and any additional knowledge can aid in the further development of this project and the development of others.
NhojisDEAD

Postby Nightwatch on 06 Jul 2017 20:44

rockingmtranch wrote:Remember when we were trying to get those first three mods to work together Nightwatch? What a nightmare but you finally got it to work and look where Stalker is today!!! =D>

Yeah, those were the days! You were one of the few who had started it, Rock, you pursued it with great determination, hats off to you, too. :salute: It was a great team effort.

NhojisDEAD wrote:Thanks for the response Nightwatch.
I was unaware that my scripts could be working in contrary to other scripts, though now it seems quite short sighted to have not considered that a possibility. I think the issue may be with where the script is being executed from, but I'll still be sure to read some of the other forum posts on the matter, as I lack knowledge and experience of many of the inner workings of the game, and any additional knowledge can aid in the further development of this project and the development of others.

Thank you. Everyone has different styles of course, but one of the things that I find works for me against hitting a block, is to start from the very beginning of that process. One change/input at a time, and try, if it works, then OK; until catching the contrasting input, then trace its connections in the files and deal one way or other.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby NhojisDEAD on 18 Jul 2017 01:43

The issue has been resolved. :mozilla_smile:
It turns out the issue was with the custom data of the mutants. Under the logic section, I had forgotten to define the active portion, which, after adding the omitted line, allowed for the mutant to register in bind_monsters.
Thanks again for your responses Nightwatch. I probably would have never noticed the error had I not of added a delay to the script's execution.
NhojisDEAD

Postby rockingmtranch on 18 Jul 2017 16:40

NhojisDEAD wrote:The issue has been resolved. :mozilla_smile:
It turns out the issue was with the custom data of the mutants. Under the logic section, I had forgotten to define the active portion, which, after adding the omitted line, allowed for the mutant to register in bind_monsters.
Thanks again for your responses Nightwatch. I probably would have never noticed the error had I not of added a delay to the script's execution.

Excellent =D> Great work :thumbright:
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Return to Modding Techniques