Small question

Small question

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 02 Oct 2008 18:52

Could anyone say why should high craphics ( everything exept AA at highest ) be causing spawn issues.
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 02 Oct 2008 20:09

Could you explain it a bit more please, a few examples would be nice to for understanding the problem. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby EggChen on 02 Oct 2008 20:37

Well I gather you upgraded the PC recently... did you go multi-core?

There were many reports of dual cores causing spawn lag, where you entered a level, and a little while later the level NPC and mutants spawned right on top of you!! I have seen it myself a few times running a dual core.

If I remember rightly patch 1.0004 was the worst culprit, but the almight Natvac would remember that for sure, it was discussed a number of times on the ZRP thread.
EggChen

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 03 Oct 2008 06:45

I've got a quad core and 1.0004 patch, oh and vista home premium
To be more spescific there are massive spawn delays FE i brake box and it can take up to five minutes before the contents appear, same with npc-s, maasive spawn delay, went to radar ug, turned of the brain scorcher and started to go back and no monos in sight, then suddenly somewhere halveway out all the monos spawn
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby NatVac on 05 Oct 2008 08:57

Yes, it could be a multi-core synchronization problem or a race condition issue. You might be able to tweak your system (e.g., reduce background tasks, lower memory requirements) to avoid the problem.

The problem started with 1.0004, but it can occur in 1.0005 as well. As of 1.0004, object creation was deferred to a second processor if one was available. The second thread sometimes "stalls", so that the object is not created at the time of the request. Perhaps some requirement is not ready, so the thread is put to sleep, only to be awakened long seconds and maybe even minutes later.

You could also disable all but one core in the BIOS before booting, and then play that way to see if it makes a difference. There are applications that can force a program and its spawned processes to use a single processor, but a game can be difficult to control this way because the different hardware drivers might already be running on separate cores before the game is even started.

STALKER is using an engine whose foundation dates back seven (now eight) years, from a time when dinosaur fish still swam in the oceans* and multi-core was considered RISCy business.

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 05 Oct 2008 09:26

So that might be causing the issue. Well I think I can live with the spawn delay for awhile because I have a new OS and I'm not very good at messing around with computers so I might screw something up.
Anyways thanks for the info.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 30 Oct 2008 07:06

Another small guestion. I'd like to reinstall doom3 but after the installation when I launch the game it crashes

I think that these might be relevant PC stats
vista home premium
32bit os
intel core 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40ghz 2.40ghz
nvidia direct x 10
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 30 Oct 2008 13:00

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Another small guestion. I'd like to reinstall doom3 but after the installation when I launch the game it crashes

I think that these might be relevant PC stats
vista home premium
32bit os
intel core 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40ghz 2.40ghz
nvidia direct x 10

It works on Vista alright. (I had it until a system recovery, now I don't have the game, but until then it had been working OK)
No problems with your system specs. Try firing it up with your User Account Control and Windows Defender turned off.

[They are usless crap, does nothing other than harass your valuable programs. Use some commercial security features instead. Som eof those are freely available as well, if your budget doesn't allow those. -but money spent on security always worth it.-]

If still doesn't work, report again please. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 30 Oct 2008 18:10

Will try.
Yet another game. Do you know what might prevent the installation of C&C The First Decade
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 30 Oct 2008 19:24

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Will try.
Yet another game. Do you know what might prevent the installation of C&C The First Decade

My initial guess would be as above, same solution as Doom 3. Try it like that as well first :)

edit: Well, also, after checking the disk/folder of the game, then turn off your Anti-Virus during installation, same goes for the firewall, if you have one; but before shutting them off -any one of them- don't forget to sign off from internet.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 04 Nov 2008 21:05

Tryed to install The First Decade again, this time with no problems not even with the windows defender, now doom3 on the other hand still wont work, I doubt that windows defender has anything to do with that cause it didn't prompt once while installing, altho cause there are 3 discs i got this weird ''this programm might not have installed correctly''prompt.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 04 Nov 2008 22:37

As I had the same experience earlier, my guess (from here I can only guess :) ) would still be that something in Vista is stopping some part of installation, provided that you've turned off your anti-virus and firewall during installation (while staying off-line).
Turn off defender and User Acc Control and stop their processes if you see them running, stop the services (defender) as well.
Do not run any other software at the time of installation, then I should be alright as far as my experience tells me. :) If doesn't work, it'd mean something else is going on in your PC.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: Small question

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 09 Dec 2008 18:13

Right, does anyone have an idea why my windows vista home premium 32-bit system won't let me open exe file properties and the same for shortcuts for exe files and does anyone know a fix to it?
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 09 Dec 2008 18:52

Close down User Account Control and Windows defender, then try it again, see if it works this time.
(PS: check the folder in which the game resides, or any other exe file, and see if you are the owner of that folder.)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 09 Dec 2008 22:00

No success what so fcking ever, I HATE VISTA, xp was much more stable and was less buggy but I have to accept the sad truth that xp will soon disapear and vista will take it's place
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 09 Dec 2008 22:17

Can you detail the problem, I mean right into the little details. What exactly is happening? For it could be a sign of some very serious problems, too.

Do all exe files and/or other files not allow you open their property boxes?

Check that if you still have the full control of your PC. Check that if there are any user accounts opened other than yours.

Also, in the run box (start menu on the bottom right) run regedit. If you have lost control, registry edit panel will not pop up.(though still depends)

Have you tried right clicking on the drive letter and owning everything in it as I described in the previous post?
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 10 Dec 2008 15:54

It has been like that since day one and as far as I've noticed It only affects exe files and exe file shortcuts in that way. To be more precise I cant even open the drop menu by right clicking on the file, the damn thing gives me a ''windows explore has stopped working'' error. I can however open a drop menu on all other files and forlders. As for the ownership thing, well it seems to that I have ownership and full controll.
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Dec 2008 18:40

Because I'm having a sort of "windows explorer crash/freeze up" problems due to that damn Kaspersky 2009 (this new version is not as good as earlier ones) and the explorer either crashes or locks/freezes when I right click on a file to virus check (I learned now that I didn't need to, it was auto-checking in the background) let me ask you this: What Anti-virus and (if you have) what Firewall are you using? Just trying some options to figure out your problem. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 11 Dec 2008 19:32

Kaspersky 7.0 and as much as I understand a regular FW
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Next

Return to Problems & Solutions