GTA IV PC

Discussions, News, Questions

GTA IV PC

Postby audioave10 on 12 Dec 2008 22:24

GTA 4 needs Games for Windows logged in just to make a save plus
has "Rockstar Social Club" running with Securom in the background.
The greatest failure in PC gaming history. I've never seen such an
effort to crack and warez a game so badly. Once fixed (if ever) it
looks like total chaos and fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAokJ0KSDn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6nuGBM5mpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEonoW15jbc
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Re: GTA IV PC

Postby Balious on 12 Dec 2008 23:31

My brother is getting this on the PS3 so doesn't seem like i be playing this on the PC. Although i played most/all of the GTA's (yes even gta 1 & 2).

GTA is a very good game. Well most of them are some may of been a little crap.
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Dec 2008 00:18

Looks like a good game, Car radio scenes reminded me the Vice City. It was very good, so I'm putting this GTA IV into the list of the games I will play. It's now a long list. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby jamie1992 on 13 Dec 2008 00:33

I myself have played all GTA games released, go me!

I got GTA IV on Xbox 360, i got pretty much to the end, its a great game. :)
Wu Tang! Wu Tang! Wu Tang!
jamie1992
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 13 Dec 2008 21:03

Biggest load of shit ever released!! Not the actual game....

My brother brought it today, three hours later he is still trying to get it to work.

Seems the excessive protection and log in requirement are causing the problem, he keeps getting an error in the Rockstar Social Network program. I won't discuss the details because of forum rules, but we are now looking at cracking the game, so he can play the copy he purchased!!

Seriously these publishers have no clue, honest customers are being pissed off in huge swathes, the GTAIV forums are full of similar problems. I guess Rockstar no longer want a PC fanbase, much like all the other publishers who continually annoy their paying customers, not the greatest business plan in the world is it!!

I WILL NOT BUY THIS GAME!!

IF WE CRACK IT, I WILL USE HIS COPY AND GIVE MY BROTHER HALF THE COST

ROCKSTAR - SAY GOODBYE TO AT LEAST ONE CUSTOMER, BUT I AM SURE YOU HAVE LOST COUNTLESS OTHERS
EggChen

Postby rockingmtranch on 13 Dec 2008 23:19

Well Egg, I notice these games' boxes now have "Games For Windows" on them so I would toss my anger at M$ more than the game maker. I too jumped through a few hoops getting this game to work since I started with no network connection and got frustrated trying to get it installed without the bullshit. In the end I connected to the internet and promised my first borns kidney.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby EggChen on 14 Dec 2008 01:13

Yep, it was Game For Windows Live which was the problem... but I don't let the developers or publishers off that easily....

1 - They don't have to use GFWL
2 - If they do, perhaps they should include the latest version on the disc, or at the very least, the version the game needs to run properly!!
3 - Why use GFWL, SecureROM and your own program? Surely one is enough?

After updating GFWL and (the same as rockingmtranch) promising my brother's very soul to anyone that wanted it, we got the game working. Now all I will say is my brother is a computer engineer, and he could not get it working, imagine the average user!!

After saying all that, the game does indeed seem to be awesome, but they still won't be getting my money.

Anyone else having trouble, be sure to check the GTAIV forums, and update everything you can think of, even your wardrobe.....
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 14 Dec 2008 03:49

Theer is a class action law suit in the USA currently against this DRM crap, as installing these malware on your computer is against the all basic rights. You pay for the game, then it's yours. You don't rent it. If it's yours, then you should be able to install and play it as the way you choose.

I can understand that game software producers would like to protect their income, from the losses from their games being copied as the way other software producers such as Windows and Adobe do it (though I still believe that they charge far too much for their products) and they may require (as in the old times) a serial number to be input.
But today's extreme measures are far too intrusive and no one can be absolutely sure what other "snooping" software are also being put into everyone's computers with those malware -reporting to god knows where- which are politely named as DRM software of one way or another.

I think everyone has heard George Orwell's 1984?

I don't even trust Windows. If you have a Firewall you'd notice that even your Disk Defragmenter wants to go to internet. Yeah, sure.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby audioave10 on 14 Dec 2008 06:16

Securom and some other DRM crap is made by Sony. I HATE Sony!
Sony... :angry5: Sony... :protest: Sony... :puke: Sony

You guys probably know this but it's important for GTA 4.

1. INSTALL: Install the game fully & sign up for all the sh*t they want you to sign up for. (You NEED the Rockstargames SocialClub

Account!!!)
2. SHORTCUT: Do as described in many of the posts around here... CREATE A SHORTCUT OF YOUR LaunchGTAIV.exe and put it nicely on your

desktop.

This was from GTA 4 forums.

3. OPENING: Rightclick that motherf*cker and go to properties!
4. CODING: ENTER THE FOLLOWING PART OF THE CODE AFTER THE PATH: -windowed <---------- THIS IS CRUCIAL!!!

5. SAVE THAT: In the end your commandline should look something like this (with your proper specifications ofc):
Code: Select all
"D:\Games\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\LaunchGTAIV.exe" -windowed 
6. CONNECT: Startup this stupid Rockstargames Social Club and LOG ON! IT's CRUCIAL THAT YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT AND ARE LOGGED ON!
7. DON'T: Do not start the game through the provided button in the up-popping menu of Rockstargames Social Club. Just minimize it to the

tray.
8. PLAY: Start the game through your shortcut of LaunchGTAIV.exe and ENJOY THAT MOTHERf*ckER!!!!

RESULT: I really dont have something you would call a High-End-Top-Notch-PC! Just an average AMD 64x2 4000+ with an average if not old Nvidia 8800gt.

EDIT: The real advantage to this is to set res. at 800x600. Then if
you start the game in the window, you can stretch the window to near your native resolution. The game thinks your still at 800x600
so it doesn't scale up "reflections" with the resolution which kills
your frames per second.

NVIDIA
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 08 Jan 2009 13:12

Well I mentioned on another thread that I actually got this game for Christmas..... I didn't go the same route as Dave and get a tweaked version, because me and my bro will play online...

Now to the point, I have pasted below the text from an e-mail I have sent to PCGamer UK, which I then forwarded to Rockstar Games and Take Two.... if you cannot be bothered to read it, I will just say one thing.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!

... We both exceed the required specs, both work in the IT industry, and so have no trouble getting the game to run. The problem specifically is that Rockstar Games have not validated my Social Club account, which as you pointed out in your review is required for Multiplayer.

I have sent two e-mails, and countless automated requests on their website, and still no validation! I rang their support line to be told that they did not deal with Social Club, as it was Take 2 that ran the helpline.

I'll be pursuing the matter further in an effort to get my money back, after all the product is not fit for purpose. To the real reason for writing, I strongly urge fellow readers not to buy this game.

The install is exceedingly lengthy, requiring both Games For Windows Live and Rockstar Social Club accounts to even get online. The game also uses SecureROM! To top it all, there is no decent joypad support, and I am having to try and borrow an XBOX 360 controller, do not buy this game if you don't have one yourself.

In fact, simply do not buy this game! I will never buy a Rockstar product again.
EggChen

Postby Balious on 08 Jan 2009 13:41

Of course if you have a PS3 or xbox 360 then you can always just buy it on console. Why does the PC version for games always get messed up somehow :(

Seems like another case where pirates get the benefit and the buyers get a load of crap. A shame as well as GTA IV is a very good game (on ps3 anyway).
Balious
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 08 Jan 2009 13:58

Yep, I'm sure it is good on PS3, to be fair it is good on PC, once you get to play the thing.

I had GTA Vice City on PS2, then when I got rid of my PS2 and got a PC I picked it up in a bargain bucket for PC. Have to say I was amazed how much better it looked, and I much preferred the mouse control for gunfights. I used to have it setup for joypad driving/flying, but keyboard & mouse on foot.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 08 Jan 2009 21:45

Without the Social Club & Windows Crap this game runs great and
I don't get slowdowns. It's realism is amazing in a busy city and
Rockstar did a wonderful job. Running at 16x10 resolution. You can't
play online but I might not anyway. Too bad.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 08 Feb 2009 18:24

Now my e-mail to Rockstar was on the 8th Jan, and guess what we are at the 8th Feb.... I finally got a reply, even though the automated reply back in January promised within 48hrs. I have marked in bold the part that may be of interest to other people with Blueyonder e-mail addresses (like me!)

Generally, it can take around 10 minutes to receive your validation email after registering at the Social Club. If you do not receive your email you should disable your spam filtering and then try to resend the email by visiting https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/re ... ation.html. So users will not receive a validation email even after resending due to the fact that their ISP is "grey listing" our emails as spam. You should try disabling your spam filters and then resending the email. You can also try setting your email address at a generic mailbox like GMail, Yahoo mail or Hotmail. Finally, Blueyonder ISP users will almost always have a problem receiving our emails and should follow these steps:

1. log on to http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/selfcare (it will redirect to http://www.virginmedia.com/customers)
2. Click "Email" in the Customer zone home list on the left 3. Select the correct email address ending (@blueyonder.co.uk) from the menu and click "Send"
4. Enter email address and password to log in.
5. Click "Options" and then "Anti-spam and Antivirus Preferences"
6. Un-check "Enable spam checking"
7. Resend your validation email using the link
8. Re-check "Enable spam checking" AFTER you have received your validation email.

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/re ... ation.html

Cheers,

The Rockstar Games Social Club

Well thanks a fucking bunch, I have not tried this "solution".... but it seems like a known issue with blueyonder e-mail addresses from the sounds of it. I solved the problem myself well over three weeks ago by setting up a second e-mail address.

Idiots, perhaps if you had responded to my queries back then, the problem would have been solved instantly and you would not have lost a customer for your next game :

GTA V - How to completely fuck off every PC gamer in the world, ever.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 08 Feb 2009 19:43

Thanks, Sony...MS...Rockstar...

audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 08 Feb 2009 21:13

So true Dave :thumbright:

It truly is a shame, because once through all that, it is an awesome game. I only scratched the surface, but the level of detail in the world is amazing. My brother has been playing it constantly, and I am more than a little jealous.

Edit : Dave - Do you know how to take screenshots in GTA IV????? I cannot find how for the life of me....

I did a little texture for my bro, and he wants to take a screenshot. Nothing major, just changed the camo combat trousers into Russian Tiger Stripe for him (well they are from the Russian shop).

I've been doing a little bit of tweaking of his game for him.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 09 Feb 2009 06:10

I'll have to wait till I buy the game to find out about screenshots. I'm
going quad-core eventually.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 09 Feb 2009 22:14

Ah sorry buddy, thought you had it already!!

Cannot find screenshot button for life of me, nothing in documentation, on web, etc.
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 13 Feb 2009 17:45

Yea, I just had a warez version just to try it. Sure enough it ran well
with no issues WITHOUT a constantly-checking Securom, GFWL and
the Social Club connection. That was on a 2.8ghz AMD dual-core, a
8800GTS 640 and 2GB ram. "You MUST have a quad"...my ass.
I did not put it on my new Intel setup. When I upgrade my other PC to quad I might get it then...and I will buy it retail.
audioave10
Senior Resident

Next

Return to All PC Games