==XRAY SDK WORKS ON VISTA==

Discussions on Modding of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC & Clear Sky

==XRAY SDK WORKS ON VISTA==

Postby Nightwatch on 18 Feb 2009 13:05

Hey Guys, I wanted to post this as soon as I saw that the Xray SDK, which has never worked on VISTA before as acknlowdedged by on many forums, has started working on VISTA.

This is the picture from my screen, SDK is at work on VISTA

I have not pinpointed yet the real reason which allowed this operation, as soon as I can make a reference to one or a series of factors that enabled the SDK to run on a VISTA PC, I'll update immediately.

Edit/add:

Now, I've successfully imported a MAYA2008 output/export object file into the Xray SDK and then exported it as OGF file.
SDK on VISTA fully works.

On my previous tries it hadn't worked, during this tim eI must've done something on the system or software platform (or on both) that has enabled this succesfull operation of SDK on a VISTA PC as well.
I'm going through the logs and through the memory lane in order to remember and isolate the factor(s) that allowed this. As soon as I can verify what has helped this outcome, I'll update this thread. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0
Mod Website= Features, Video, Tips & Download Link: NEWSA.SIMBION_Tweak

Watch the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajw_f8K ... re=channel
Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: ==XRAY SDK WORKS ON VISTA==

Postby EggChen on 18 Feb 2009 22:32

Hmmm, I never even tried installing it on mine.... now I see it can work, I will do so.
EggChen

Postby Grump642 on 19 Feb 2009 02:43

If you experts figure out the "how", please let me know. I'm working on finishing up playing 2.4, to be ready for 3.0. After that I may get back to trying some stuff.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 20 Feb 2009 15:32

I still couldn't pinpoint the exact thing (or things) that enabled the SDK to work on VISTA yet, while on numerous occasions in the past it had not even initiated.

However, I can tell my set up situation which may be helpful if one thinks that it'd be worth replicating or finding clues in it:

1- SYSTEM

I use VISTA Ultimate 32 bit Service Pack 1 installed
3 Gig RAM, ASUS motherboard, Intel CPU (pentium D 3.41GFHz)
Nvidia 178.24 drivers
ZoneAlarmPro and Kasperksy2009 always running
Zone Alarm Pro -OS Firewall and program interaction control is ON

2- Services, processes

I recently shot down a couple of services, which I can't remember the full list (maybe it was the factor)

I shut down the service of Windows Defender (previously it was only turned off)
UAC is turned off
Also some remote registry and all that risky stuff are off

3-How I proceeded

--Installed SDK normally

-- Started createDiskX Batch file (find it in X-Ray SDK\scripts_plugins)

--Made shortcuts to Map X-Drive (X-Ray SDK\scripts_plugins -or find it in windows programs), and the Batch files of Actor_Editor, Level_Editor, Particle_Editor (find them in Xray SDK\ Level Editor folder) by right clicking and sending them to desktop as shortcuts -very simple.

--Before each start of SDK, you should MAP the X-DRIVE

--I started the Level_Editor through its Batch File shortcut... NOT by its start icon in the folder.

**DO NOT try to open an image/object by "open with SDK\Level Editor, or, Particle Editor, etc. It'll crash, giving "can't open fs.ltx" Start the Editor first by the Batch file. You should have placed the file that you want to work on into a separate folder that you would navigate to later, or simply put in in "import" (level_editor\import) folder.

--I started the program as above, at this point, (AN IMPORTANT POINT?) ZoneAlarmPro's OS Firewall raised a pop up (dialog window) and informed me that SDK is trying get into Windows resources and attempts use this and that process and services. I said YES. (ZoneAlarm checks every program’s each behaviour and its any moves to use any other programs' or Window's any components, services, etc. I keep it on manual)

NOTE: ZoneAlarm previously had not asked this. Maybe it was one of the services that I closed helped SDK to pass an hurdle and then ZoneAlarm grabbed it. I think it may (just may) be possible that after I said YES to Zone Alarm OS Firewall, it has actively initiated and tied the SDK to some resources otherwise it had not been successful itself to reach. From that point onwards, SDK on VISTA is working flawlessly as it may seen in the already produced "crashed and torn missile damaged APCs"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3&start=738

If I can remember or be able to point a more specific or additional factors, I'll again update this thread.
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Please Do Not download and install any files from links other than those on the Mod's Website
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 21 Feb 2009 05:04

Had not tried the shortcut thing. I will give it a try. Have you tried the SDK patch, unofficial, that was posted on GSC?
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 21 Feb 2009 14:45

Yes, I used shortcuts, but they would only help for time saving (I like being lazy when using PC, don't like diving into the folders each time :mozilla_smile: ) but using Batch files for starting applications (either of the editors) is essential.

I still suspect that turning off the Windows defender on the "service level" might have "some part in it" (it was just turned off on application level from the start, then I noticed recently, it was still on -but stopped- as service, now disabled it fully)

Then I think Zone Alarm's OS Firewall helped it greatly, I suspect. This OS Firewall is different than the Internet one, as you may well know, it threw me a pop up asking for clearance for integration of SDK to other resources, it might have directly helped the SDK to tap onto those things which otherwise it had been failing to do itself along its attempts to do so. Well, just theories at this stage. But the fact is that the damn thing had not been working since I first installed weeks ago, -it had been appearing to take off, popping up it red SDK screen, then a few seconds later, it'd gone- but now a few days ago it has started working. So far, it keeps it going on. Touch wood. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 22 Feb 2009 00:21

I'll keep trying. That patch I mentioned? Stay away from it. My security software said it was trying to install a trojan. I had Comodo Firewall in installation mode. I stopped the install and looked at the files Comodo had. One was from a Co called "Fucksoft, Inc". This patch came from our RU friends. Makes one wonder.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 22 Feb 2009 02:26

Yeah, keep trying. It may have a small glitch what SDK is having on VISTA that may be preventing it to start functioning. Som esecurity feature of Vista might be pereventing it to extend to the required resources of Windows, once it passes, I think it establishes the necessary bridge and keeps on working. Remember to use the Batch files to fire up the editors, otherwise it can't work.

And thanks for the tip about that "unofficial" SDK patch. Troja, ha? Too bad. But, at least your firewall caught it in time. :thumbright: Comodo is a very good Firewall, too. Anyway, I wouldn't install any SDK patch right now, because it's currently working and anything may cause it slide back to non-functioning again. As they say, if it ain't broken, don't repair it, lol. :mozilla_smile:
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 22 Feb 2009 02:56

Never surrender, never give up! I will keep trying.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 22 Feb 2009 03:26

That's the spirit. :thumbright:

Try the services, without crippling your ssytem of course. Following a very good guide, turning a few unnecessary systems may make a difference.
Does your Comodo Firewall also have OS Firewall as well? If so, try activating it, and when it asks allow SDK (hope it asks) to use any Windows resources, etc, for OS Firewalls may (just may) be acting to help it to establish a connection with Windows resources. :-k
NEWSA.SIMBION_TWEAK 3.0

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby NatVac on 22 Feb 2009 18:00

I want to thank you, Grump642, for the heads-up on the "unofficial" SDK patch. I had downloaded it after noting that the poster had over 1000 posts at GSC, but I had not yet installed it; it was surprisingly large for a "patch" and came as a solitary, undocumented executable in the archive -- something I absolutely despise.

It may be that the dev's box is infected and he doesn't know it, or it may have been put together by a patient "helper" who posted a lot to gain the confidence of his targets. Or perhaps a "friend" provided something to the developers.

I had some trouble getting the original SDK to work properly on XP, of all things. I just wanted to edit some sound files so that I could see how sound attributes are stored in the comments, in order to create a proper commenting tool so that folks would not have to use the SDK just to fix up their audio files. I thought that a patch might address the problem I was having.

"Never surrender, never give up!" <== That's from the best send-up movie ever*, and one of the best movies I've seen.

Postby EggChen on 22 Feb 2009 18:03

Great film, my bro was a trekkie but never got it, he had a humour bypass at puberty I think.
EggChen

Postby Grump642 on 22 Feb 2009 19:19

Which movie? It is also a Navy Seal saying.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 22 Feb 2009 21:01

EggChen

Postby NatVac on 22 Feb 2009 22:37

Actually, Cmdr. Taggart (I think that's his [inner] screen name) says, "Never give up, never surrender!" in the movie Galaxy Quest. It may be that the writers got it from the Navy Seals.

Okay, that does it. I screwed up and mentioned it, like mentioning Deus Ex*, so now I have to go and watch it again. :P

Apologies for the topic derailment. I trust not many were hurt... :)

I saw some remarks on the GSC forum to the effect that even if you think you have the SDK running on Vista, there are some gotchas like the file requester issue. I'll bet that's due to the remapping of directories in Vista for backward compatibility at the OS level, which fakes out STALKER at the application level and might be doing the same to the SDK.

I guess that's the problem with taking too long to get to market. I think it was Stewart Brand who said something to the effect that when a new technology starts rolling, if you are not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road.

Postby Nightwatch on 22 Feb 2009 23:03

Nive video from on Never Surrender" from "Galaxy Quest" :D

Well, it depends to what or who you are asked to surrender maybe, in broader terms, if it was that "blonde chick" (Sigourney Weaver) in the movie who said: "Surrender!" I think many would not think twice. I wouldn't. :D

----------
Very good points, NatVac, very true indeed.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 23 Feb 2009 03:30

No offense Nightwatch, but a Seal would not. Unless he was off duty. They are truely remarkable people.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 23 Feb 2009 12:42

:mozilla_smile: :thumbright:
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Grump642 on 24 Feb 2009 03:37

Here is a pic of what Avira AntiVir found in that DL.http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... Trojan.jpg
Don Reba did not seem inclined to worry about it.
Grump642
Senior Resident

Next

Return to Modding Techniques