A Vista Wrath on a PC-Rebuilt

A Vista Wrath on a PC-Rebuilt

Postby Nightwatch on 09 Mar 2009 16:08

On Saturday, at lunch time, I posted on NEWSA thread and said that I had got the parts and I was starting the re-built. And I said I'll be on it for a few hours... For a few hours!! What was I thinking? #-o When I went to sleep yesterday after midnight first time after I had woken up on that Saturday morning, it had passed 41 hours sleepless non-stop work... and stress. :-ss No...not the hardware got me, it sure took a good couple of hours, dismantling and refitting things, etc, but it was that GOD DAMN VISTA that got me.. B-( :-Q

It was Saturday evening when I finally pressed the "on" switch on the PC and it went on with a purring and with some subdued incase lights. Brilliant. :thumbright:

I was to early and too eager to enter the congratulatory mood. Because when it was just at the beginning of the booting process, it started giving out messages like: No hard disks detected, No OS found, etc. Excuse me, I had been using Vista Ultimate before the rebuilt and it is the same Disk that is doing the booting, which has the same Vista Ultimate...
Damn... just a second.. Yeah, the damn software, because I changed so many pieces at once, decided that I was using the Vista on an unauthorized different PC, and refusing it.

No attempts to repair the OS worked. And instead of repairing (this weird utility of Vista which sometimes is seemingly useful, but also known to make some very strange moves) made of its moves again and after three hours of struggle, when I fist managed to log-in I saw ...what?? What the Hell!!

Now, guys, sit tight and read carefully, because probably that you won't believe that you've read it right and you'll read it again.

Vista had renamed my C drive as D, and the D drive as C. Why? Who knows...maybe it got some enlightenments... that stupid low life git, which is called Vista. :-J

It didn't end there. It apparently moved the programs which were naturally on my C drive, which had now carried D drive name, but still left the Window folder (that windows32, prefetch, etc stuff) in its place (old C new D drive) so practically separated the programs and Windows folders to different Disks.

Whhhyyy??!!

Then, after a good amount of swearing and drinking more coffee, and more and more testing and fighting directories, everything, I finally realized that the only option was to reinstall Vista. Hah!! Did I think that Vista would give up so easily. Think again!

It started refusing to install, blabbing all the most idiotic terms one after another.

Then I started making phone calls to Microsoft and making them a bit shinier than they had already been.

Now it was only late Sunday afternoon, after household had woken up after a good night and found me still at my table continuing my fight, Vista finally decided to work and I found myself actually looking at the working screen graphics.

Now, although I had backed up a lot of stuff, I still lost a good amount of stuff which wsa on my D drive. They are (or were) fortunately not crucial stuff, but I wouldn't like to lose them anyhow.

I am reinstalling enormous amount of software which take significant time to reconfigure, and it'll take me weeks to come back to the same point where I had been on this Saturday.

When I installed the ZoneAlarm, browser, Kaspersky and MS Office and the first Adobe Suit, it was after midnight on Sunday (effectively today). Now I took a picture of my new PC and posted on Mediafire, then I came here to tell the Horror Story.
Was it scary enough?
If not, you may try the same, who knows, you may get even luckier with Vista. :-ss :mozilla_wink:

Guys,
THIS IS MY NEW SYSTEM:

Core 2 Quad Q8300, Yorkfield Core, S775, 2.50GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB Cache, 7.5x Core Ratio
ASUS Motherboard PQ5
4 Gb RAM -Corsair Dominator PC 8500 C5D(1066 -x2- MHz) with fan assembly
1+ Terabyte SATA HDD (Seagate Barracuda+ Hitachi)
EVGA GTX260 (216 Cores) 55nm SSC Edition 675MHz core, 2304 MHz memory, 1458MHz shaders
ASUS LION Square CPU Cooler
CORSAIR HX series 520W PSU (40Amp on 12V)
Enermax silent Cluster case fans (x4)
and my trusted Lian Li case

Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: A Vista Wrath on a PC-Rebuilt

Postby audioave10 on 10 Mar 2009 04:04

Your hardware is very nice!
I'm not sure just how "nice" your software is... :-??
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby ket on 10 Mar 2009 04:35

Another satisfied Vista user I see... :p MS will have to remove BS like that in W7. Depending on who it happens to, MS could be staring down the barrel of a big fat lawsuit for loss of critical data due to the OS retardedness. Imagine a similar scenario happening to a government agency! MS would be bent over and screwed in every hole.

/hugs XP Pro CD/
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk
CPU: R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
RAM: 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz 16-20-20-35
GPU: Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Sound: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E, Realtek ALC1200
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301
Opticals: DVD-RW, Blu-Ray
PSU: eVGA 1000w G2 Supernova
Case: NZXT Phantom 530

STALKER: Singularity (SIN) homepage
ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 10 Mar 2009 14:44

audioave10 wrote:Your hardware is very nice!
I'm not sure just how "nice" your software is... :-??

Thanks audiave10
I can also answer to your second comment, explaining how "nice" my VISTA software is, but not that I'm afraid that Bill Gates may sue me for libel :bs: , but I try to refrain myself from using some obscene language here. :mozilla_wink:

ket wrote:Another satisfied Vista user I see... :p MS will have to remove BS like that in W7. Depending on who it happens to, MS could be staring down the barrel of a big fat lawsuit for loss of critical data due to the OS retardedness. Imagine a similar scenario happening to a government agency! MS would be bent over and screwed in every hole.

/hugs XP Pro CD/

I think that is the reason that they got the whiff of it coming, so that, as far as I'm aware of, no important institution of any kind, no business, military or goverment departments use VISTA, they remained stay put on XP; and quite a few of them actually do use Linux.

PS: Don't worry, if things were to get that far to screw those by his OS, I'd suspect that Bill Gates would find a way to settle a mutual agreement with those to make them happy and avoid law suits, as he is known to be a shrewd businessman. Well, that's not a crime in law books. Well, how about my screwed data?
(No, I'm not meaning any offence to him or implying anything. Excuse me, is my phone ringing? I'll be back. :)] :mozilla_smile: )
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 10 Mar 2009 18:29

lol :D Do I detect large doses of sarcasm there? :p
HDD: 250GB & 500GB nVME 3.0 M.2 drives, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Sata3 64MB Cache, 250GB Hynix SL301

ket
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 10 Mar 2009 23:40

Bill Gates has been filmed by candid camera, this is the footage:

:hiding:

:D
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby ket on 11 Mar 2009 02:18

lmao! :D

ket
Senior Resident

Postby VINTAR on 11 Mar 2009 05:44

Nightwatch, glad to see you have finally got somewhere with the rebuild.

Stories like yours scare me a bit cause I will be building my new PC soon and I have no experience with hardware or sofware :-ss

But, I will be using XP, thats for sure :-bd
Core2Quad Q8300 2.5 @ 3.6ghz
Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 CPU cooler
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
2 GIGS Transcend DDR2 800 pc6400 @ 960
Thermaltake Tough Power 650w PSU
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
-----------------------------------
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 11 Mar 2009 14:12

Thanks Vintar :mozilla_smile:

Actually, from a technical point, it's not that difficult at all to build a new PC even for a person who does it for the first time, as long as he is very careful, just like crossing the road carefully. Unless trying to put a wrong part to wrong place, or attaching things wrong sockets, wrong cables, not properly fitting things, then nothing can go wrong as far as hardware is concerned.
There are very good detailed guides and all components (CPU, GPU, mobo, etc) come with quite detailed explanations.

And we have a good range of topics on the Hardware and Software forum here, starting with "Building a new PC? Look here first" thread.

One thing I cannot stress enough though, do not forget to back up all your data, do not trust that leaving them on drive D will save them from a kind of wrath I had. Things do happen.

Another thing, when (if) you change a certain number of components, you cannot restart your PC as Windows will see it as an authorized copy is being used on another PC other than the one on which that particular copy of Windows was activated. You'll be facing a hostile dialog with Microsoft and you may find it necessary to scare them with law suits, exposure, complaining to international authorities, etc, until they agree. Hard work.

I had a list that gave the points which Windows use for each new component and the threshold of the total of those points, at which level Windows decides that the scale of work has passed the level of "repair or reasonable modernization" and now entered to the level of using their OS on a different PC.

This list may be among the many many things that I lost. I'll check it out and if find it, I'll post it on another thread, possible the one as above.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby VINTAR on 12 Mar 2009 06:05

Yeah, changing graphics cards and Ram is easy enough, I`m just worried about the motherboard installation, but I`m sure with common sense it should go smoothly.

I am building a whole new PC, harddrive and all, so I will have to re-install Windows anyway, which I have done before, so thats not too bad.

Its just the initial order in which to do things I`m not sure of. I`ll post a question in the other thread for people to answer. I`ll be asking for a lot of advice there I`m sure :mozilla_oops:
Core2Quad Q8300 2.5 @ 3.6ghz
Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 CPU cooler
Gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo
Nvidia GTS450
2 GIGS Transcend DDR2 800 pc6400 @ 960
Thermaltake Tough Power 650w PSU
Samsung Syncmaster P2350
-----------------------------------
Apartheid veteran
VINTAR
Senior Resident

Postby Nightwatch on 13 Mar 2009 00:08

OK, I'll the other building PC thread, too. Fire up as many questions as you like. There are many here who have gone through building Pcs before, so you'll sure get all the necessary info asap. :mozilla_smile:
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Software Desk